Mobile devices provide students and instructors with opportunities to capture, edit, and share images.
This section will explore the potential value of capturing and editing images on mobile devices as a means of extending the classroom. Additionally, it considers the rhetorical effects of photo editing as a means of furthering student engagement with concepts. For this activity, we will be using a variety of applications, such as Aviary and PicStitch, to examine the possibilities photography and photo manipulation offer for the classroom.
This activity requires participants to explore their spaces and those within such spaces to consider concepts in a visual manner. By first identifying and capturing related images and then editing the selected images, participants illustrate and argue for their understanding of a concept.
For this activity, you will engage in a visual scavenger hunt. Below, you will find a list of concepts that are trending at this year’s conference. Your activity has multiple steps.
- First, download the following applications: Aviary, PicStitch, and Tumblr. All of these are free applications. You may want to play with other applications as well; some popular and effective programs are offered below. To do so for an Android device, you will need to visit the Google Play Store on your device.
- With a partner, search for and capture images you believe reflect three of the concepts identified in the list. You have 30 minutes.
- When you have found the desired images, work with a photo editing application, altering the images in any way you see fit (striving to capture the concept you’ve associated with the image).
- You may alter the image in terms of filters, multiple image layouts, writing, stickers, so on. Play with the application’s affordances!
- Using the Tumblr app, post the images to our Tumblr at http://mobilemultimodal.tumblr.com/. You can do so using one of the following two methods:
- Click the “Submit” link in the menu bar at the top of the page and attach your picture there with a short description.
- Email your submission as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to identify yourself in the email body.
- Return, so that we may discuss the results of the activity together!
Scavenger Hunt List
- Sophisticated Readers
- Digital Divide
Other Potential Applications for Android Devices
- ProCapture (2.99) and Camera Awesome (2.99) both add multiple advanced features to the standard Android Camera
- Camera Zoom Fx (2.99) Includes up to 6x optical zoom and multiple shooting modes
- Fast Burst Camera (3.99) Takes and displays multiple, rapid shots.
- SlowShutter (Free) Mimics the effects of a slow shutter speed.
- Night Camera (Free; 2.99 for Night Camera+) Allows user to take better images at night time.
- SnapSeed (Free) Offers a huge variety of editing features, including the selective adjustment tool.
- Autostitch Panorama (Free; 1.99 for Pro Version) Creates Panoramas that may be edited from multiple shots
- Photo Grid Collage Maker (Free) Similar to PicStitch, creates collage style layouts.
- ColorSplash Effect (Free; 1.99 for Pro version) Allows user to turn a full color photo into black and white, then re-add color on selected areas.